St Peter's Church, Papworth Everard

Papworth Christingle

People with particular responsibility here

The Revd Nigel di Castiglione

David Potter (Churchwarden)



What's on

For all the latest service information please read the weekly bulletin - Information for Churches by clicking here


Where we are

Church Lane, Papworth Everard Cambs CB23 3QN

Churchyard information


History of the buildingPapworth Church building

There has almost certainly been a church on this site since Saxon times. However, little remains of the church re-built in 1352 in the later Decorated period, apart from the chancel arch with triple responds, and the north and south inner doorways. The west window served as the east window in the medieval church, and the plain octagonal font, probably painted, also belongs to the 1352 period. There is no moulding or decoration on any of these remains. A visit from the iconoclast William Dowsing in the seventeenth century saw paintings defaced in the chancel and nave. 1742 found the building in disrepair. A great wind felled the tower, which in turn destroyed the south side of the building. Two of the three bells were sold to fund repairs. Further rebuilding and refurbishment were required by the mid nineteenth century. Families resident at Papworth Hall donated the present tower, a large bell, a clock, a spire, an organ and a lych gate. Re-roofing and re-tiling and additional church plate were given later. Between 1944 and 1953 the foundations were underpinned because of the dangerous cracking in the fabric, the church spire being demolished for the same reason. Villagers met the costs of these repairs. In recent years a P.A. and loop system have been installed.

Text by Peter Eveleigh (2000)





Team Administrator 

Lower Pendrill Court 

Ermine Street North 

Papworth Everard 

CB23 3UY