Contact Details:

Team Administrator 

14 Alms Hill 

Bourn 

Cambridge 

CB23 2SH 

Tel: 01954 713988

Longstowe Church

 

St Mary the Virgin, Longstowe

 

Longstowe ChurchBuilt between 1863 and 1864 of brick faced with flint stone, this church stands on the site of an earlier building. It consists of chancel, nave, north chapel, south porch and a low embattled western tower with one bell. St Mary’s also has a peal of six tubular bells presented in 1898 to which two others were added in 1903. The original church was blown down in 1719, but monuments to the Cage family were saved, and are now in the chancel. Various Victorian and turn of the century stained glass windows are memorials to local families. The small north side chapel was built by Captain Sidney Stanley. An oak lych gate was erected in 1896 in memory of the Revd James Rushton M.A., rector 1852-1895. A rood screen built in 1920 commemorates men of the parish who died in The Great War 1914-1918. The register dates from 1569.

Text by Peter Eveleigh (2000)

 
Where to find us