Holy Trinity Church, Elsworth


Thomas stole

People with particular responsibility here

Nigel di Castiglione (Team Rector)

James Howell (Churchwarden) 

Shirley Jamieson (Churchwarden)


What's on

For all the latest service information please read the weekly bulletin - Information for Churches by clicking here


Where to find us

Church Lane, Elsworth. CB23 4HT



History of the buildingElsworth Church building

From a very early period, until the dissolution of the monasteries, this church belonged to Ramsey Abbey. Built of stone in the Decorated style, Holy Trinity consisted of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a low embattled western tower with pinnacles, a clock and four bells. Inside, the chancel contains a triple sedilia and double piscine in the Decorated style, and some excellent Perpendicular woodwork. Stalls at the west end have linenfold paneling and poppy heads, whilst under the book rests are little lockers retaining their original paneled doors. Outside, over the porch door a sundial is inscribed ‘MOX NOX’, with a beautiful Decorated cross on the east gable. In 1892, a thorough church restoration saw the north aisle completely rebuilt, and several new windows inserted at the cost of £1,000. The register, in excellent condition, dates from 1528.

Text by Peter Eveleigh (2000)

 










Team Administrator 

Lower Pendrill Court 

Ermine Street North 

Papworth Everard 

CB23 3UY