St Andrew's Church, Caxton

Caxton interior

People with particular responsibility

here

The Revd Stephen Day (Team Vicar)

The Revd Nigel Pearson (Associate Priest)


Judy Pearson (Churchwarden) 

Rebecca Cowburn (Churchwarden)


What's on

For all the latest service information please read the weekly bulletin - Information for Churches by clicking  here


Where to find us

Caxton, Cambridge CB23 3PL


History of the buildingCaxton Church building

The church has a chancel, nave, south aisle and west tower. The walls are field stones and re-used material with clunch and free stone dressings, the roofs are tiled. St Andrew’s belonged to the Priory of Lewes until 1351 when it passed to the Dean and Canons of Windsor. Although the chancel and west wall of the nave are thirteenth century, the church contains remains of fourteenth and fifteenth century work, including fourteenth century doorways in the north and south walls of the nave. A double piscine in the chancel is thirteenth century, and a Sedalia of solid masonry projecting from the south wall may also be from this period. Brass indents for two full-length figures, also in the chancel, are late medieval, whilst the various floor slabs commemorating the Barnard family date from 1679 to 1794. There are six bells, a sixteenth to seventeenth century communion table, and the font, perhaps thirteenth century, has an octagonal limestone bowl. The rood screen is thought to be early Victorian. Restorations were carried out in 1863 – 1869 when the south aisle and porch were rebuilt. Further restoration work was undertaken in 1929-30, and the outer walls of the tower were repaired and made waterproof in 2000.







Team Administrator 

Lower Pendrill Court 

Ermine Street North 

Papworth Everard 

CB23 3UY