St Helena and St Mary's Church, Bourn
People with particular responsibility
The Revd Paul Gildersleve (Associate Priest)
Ian Hildrew (ALM - Evangelism)
Jane Dobinson (Churchwarden)
For all the latest service information please read the weekly bulletin - Information for Churches by clicking
Where to find us....
Church Street, Bourn CB23 2SJ
History of the building
Situated on rising ground, the church is a spacious cruciform stone building in the Transition Norman, Early English and Later style. It consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays, aisles, transepts and south porch. The embattled western tower with turret stair has eight bells, two of which were added in 1924, and the remainder repaired. The tower was restored in 1912 at a cost of £960.
The chancel’s Perpendicular roof has hammer beams with figures of angels, the chancel arch is modern but Perpendicular rood screen survives. The lofty nave arcades are Transition Norman, the piers alternately circular or octagonal. The nave has very fine and lofty Early English arches, and the south porch, also Early English, bears a cross on the gable. Dowsing, the Puritan iconoclast, visited the church, destroying two angels and some brasses and some crosses on the tower and chancel. The nave was restored in 1875-1878 at a cost of £1480. The register dates from 1564.